Board Meeting Minutes
WOCAV Board Meeting Minutes – November 5, 2019
Present: John Daugherty, Layne Giering, Duane and Lana Harriger, John and Norma Liebenguth, Joe Lowrie, Max Lowrie, Gene Metcalf, Jim Ross, George and Jane Schmader, Lee Swoger
President Max Lowrie called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
The group agreed to dispense with the reading of the September minutes.
Treasurer Joe Lowrie reported.
Previous Balance, as of Sept. 3, 2019: $3,115.36
Income: $375.00 (renewals and picnic)
Expenses: $802.05 (Door prizes: $33 Jim; Frame: $5 Joe; Picnic supplies $27 Jane; Catering: $661.40 O’Neill’s)
New Balance, as of November 4, 2019: $2,687.71
Membership for 2019-2020: 53 renewals + 1 New (24 Family, 29 Ind., 1 Assoc.) = 54 Total
George moved to accept the report, Gene seconded, motion carried unanimously.
1. Picnic: Approximately 42 people attended the picnic.
2. Woodland Health & Regeneration Assessment Process Training: Max announced that Leslie Horner has left the Center for Private Forests. After much discussion, the group decided to drop this training for now. Max will contact Leslie.
3. Farmer Director, Clarion County Conservation District board: Max reported that WOCAV has nominated Tim Elder to this position.
4. WOCAV website: Max asked George to renew the domain service name. John Liebenguth volunteered to look into getting the website back up. George and Max will give John the information that they have from the old website.
1. Walk in Penn’s Woods: only 13 people, including family, attended the walk at Lowrie’s Tree Farm. With the amount of planning and work involved, Max recommended that next year the information be sent to WOCAV members encouraging them to go for a walk in their woods. John Daugherty reported that the NW PA woodland owners’ group had a very good turnout by holding the walk in conjunction with their picnic.
2. Dec. 12 Holiday Party: Jane will order meat and cheese tray and set up. Max will handle the invitations. Stacy Wolbert will present a 15-minute video about PA gamelands.
3. Program Committee Update: Jim Ross reported: a parent/child program on songbirds at the Clarion County Rod & Gun Club is being considered for January instead of venison processing. A $10 preregistration will include a DIY nesting box. George suggested asking the Game Commission for boxes. February is the Clarion Landowners’ Conference. A field day including all steps involved with a proper timber sale is being considered for May or June at Freeman’s Farm. September’s picnic will be held at the forestry office inside and out with an optional fire and walk through the arboretum. August and October are now open for programs.
Joe motioned, Layne seconded and the meeting adjourned at 8:03 p.m.
Respectfully submitted, Norma Liebenguth
Next meeting scheduled for Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.